Thursday, February 10, 2011

Italian Comfort Food; Eggplant Parmesan

This dish is easy, delicious and filling.  It's packed full of veggies and robust flavors, and goes perfectly with a glass of full bodied, dry red wine.

I cut the eggplant into thin slices, and coat each slice with seasoned flour.  It's then pan fried in olive oil until it  lightly browns.

My sauce is simple, and you will see it used frequently in my dishes; I use tomato, olive oil, chopped onion, chopped spinach, garlic and herbs, and cook it down until it's fragrant and thick.

The filling between layers of eggplant is a mélange of finely chopped red peppers, onions, zuchini, squash, spinach and garlic. Each layer also gets a slice of fresh mozzarella, and some crumbled parmesan.  I top it off with several slices of eggplant, and bake it until it is hot and the cheese is melted.  It is then topped with a heaping serving of red sauce. Bueno!












No comments:

Post a Comment